Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I must be weird...

As I was driving my son home from daycare today, I realized that I am exceptionally blessed. How many people have the opportunity to make this kind of move? While I have been scattered and trying to deal with the stress of the move and absence of my husband, I've completely ignored the wonder of it all.

I am not one of those francophiles who've been dreaming about living in France. I do not have a vision of what life will be like in france - despite 9 years of marriage to a frenchman, studying intercultural communication, as well as reading lots of books and blogs over the years.

Does that make me unimaginitative? No. It's just that I have enough to focus on right now and the present, as function of time posted, is a beautiful place to live.

It wouldn't be very brilliant to imagine what life will be like in a place that I have visited for less than 20 days. My most recent visit was over 9 years ago. However, to ignore the wonder of this moment in my life is criminal.

I felt so wonderful and at ease during the first week of my husband's absence, but for the past couple of days I have let myself get sucked into illness and self-pity.

2 comments:

La Framéricaine said...

Stephanie, bonjour! And let me be the first here to say that I must be just as weird as you!

I too have been married to a Frenchman for 20 years+, have never stayed in France longer than 3 weeks at one time over the past 34 years, and have not set my feet on French soil for more than 4 years--my last two trips were for a LF's near fatal heart attack and an inquiry into where best to proceed with a laproscopic radical prostatectomy to, hopefully stop prostate cancer in its tracks!!!

Thus, as you can well imagine, I agree with you completely that there is more than enough to keep one busy in the spacious present!

Thank you very much for having stopped by to see me and, especially, for having left me a link trail back to your lovely blog. I will be looking forward to visiting you again.

Here's to the leap into France and all things French by Améroçaises or Framéricaines.

Amitiés,

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

Hi Stephanie. Perhaps if you allow yourself to dream about it a bit, imagining some of the wonderful possibilities ... you'll let your mind relax and slow the racing and anxiety. It just may be a wonderful adventure, if it doesn't deteriorate solely to endless lists of task to do's. I think part of our "present" (as described by FOT) must encompass a tiny bit of our vision of the future, to be complete.