Sunday, April 6, 2008

Moving inexorably towards france

French husband has a telephone interview next week. I told my mother and father about it, which made them realize that this is really happening - well, my father didn't know that we were really considering the move until a couple of days ago because he has not had easy access to a phone or internet. He said something that made me reflect on my irrational behavior in regards to "stuff." His first response to my declaration that we would be moving to france was, "what about all of your stuff?" I'm saving stuff for someone else; not for me. I'm saving it for my grandma, my father, potentially for my children and grandchildren...but my grandma is dead. my father will pass away one day and my children and grandchildren don't need to be burdened with a whole house full of stuff. It's nice stuff, but i don't feel like it's mine. I feel like i have to keep it due to guilt, obligation, laziness...

Dad said, "well, it seems that you two move every couple of years so why don't you get a storage place so that you don't have to ship everything over there and then just move it back a few years later." However, if i don't care about it enough to take it with me to france then it's not worth keeping. And my stuff would be here in the us, rotting away, or drying out to be more precise...but it means that it would be even harder to deal with than if i just took care of it now.

Another thought is that we would probably do better to sell the house in early summer instead of late summer/early fall because we are so close to a school and people want to get their stuff together/settled in before the start of the school year. How does this impact our plans? Well, it means I had better "get a move on" ASAP - selling the car is top priority, but I don't want to deal with the hassle. I could trade it in for a lot less than i would get selling it myself...but then we'd be paying off something we no longer own. :-(

No comments: