Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas

My brother and sister-in-law really saved the day with Christmas this year. It would have been pretty lean without their package. My mom's package still hasn't arrived yet :-(. My son got "Krtek" toys and a dvd - we saw Krtek at the movie theater when my (other) sister in law came to visit so he was/is totally into it. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWxNlg7N7go 

As a matter of fact, today he has been bugging me to watch the dvd so I set a timer for my computer time so that he would do something else while he waits. The timer is a really good parenting tool - I'm really glad I discovered it! He understands that he needs to stop his activity when the timer goes off and it's much more neutral than being bugged by mom!

My previous post about destiny relates to the fact that I applied for some english teaching jobs- some in paris and one in nice. Overall, more opportunity in paris, but more competition. The pay is higher - by about 20 percent, but then the cost of living is a bit higher, though not sure how much. With contract work, I have the opportunity to earn 20-50 percent more than I would at a full time job, but of course, it's not "definite," which is the big advantage to full time.     

Of course, there are other advantages to full time work, such as restaurant tickets, 'mutuelle' (supplemental insurance), and paid days off, but i think that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The ideal would be for one of us to work full time and the other to work part time, but I don't know what the future holds.

3 comments:

La Framéricaine said...

Post-Merry Christmas to you and your little family and a very sincere wish for a Happy New Year!

I'm encouraged by your job search because I've been working in academia for almost 12 years and I know that I will not be able to just move to France and not "work."

Initially, I will have to work on our little house. However, that will soon get old and/or complete itself and I will want to work in some way with language. I just took a trip to Mexico for three weeks at year's end and I intend to continue with my own study of Spanish after I arrive in France.

I hope that your little boy is enjoying his own schooling in France.

Amitiés,

La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...

Hi,
Nice finding you here. What a great idea for a blog - battling French administration!
Good luck!

La Framéricaine said...

Stephanie, how are you and your little family doing? I've missed hearing from you. I'm still out here. Stop by sometime for a visit.