Monday, March 10, 2008

Status of Livret de famille

We got our livret de famille from Chicago a little while ago- late December/early January. That was just the registry of our marriage and getting the livret. The next step was sending the livret and our son's birth certificate to Los Angeles for LA to do their part. They received the material January 17th and still no response! My husband just called them to find out the status. He had to leave a voicemail, but we should have news soon.

We have discussed flying to France as a family in September (this year) and making our final decision about moving at that time. However, it's been a very long time since my husband was last in France and I have been thinking that it might be better for him to make an exploratory trip alone. Yes, that means that I would have to take care of our son alone for 2 weeks, but I think it would give us more confidence in making the move. We have several good reasons for moving - better social security, schools, quality of life, and a less stressful environment. I am concerned that my husband has an idealized view of France based on his youth - in his 20s, single, and without a child. That was about nine years ago and the world has changed.

1 comment:

JChevais said...

Indeed it has... I'm not sure where you are planning on living but if you're looking for a reasonable quality of life/less stress environment, I don't really recommend Paris.

Elsewhere, yes. But Paris.... um... ;-)

Then again... maybe I'm just old and bitter. Having grown up in a laid back environment like Canada, I have a hard time reconciling myself to the fact that Paris might actually be less stress... Depending on your point of view.