Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bilingual Boy meets the Speech Therapist Tomorrow

My son has a speech and language delay. And it's not because he's bilingual! My dad and my brother both had speech therapy. My niece had speech therapy, although she's bilingual too...but the point is that it's not the end of the world and we don't need to stop speaking two languages to him so that he can learn English - why are people such idiotas!?

We have been getting parent training to help our child. Although it's one of those "common sense" trainings, it is really helping me and my husband communicate better with our son. I have seen the frustration reduce greatly for the entire family. It's called It Takes Two to Talk -here's the Hanen Program link. One of the things that the classes have helped me with is letting go of some of that bs, like my son has a speech delay because we are not the model bilingual parents. Or...my son wouldn't have a speech and language delay if I were a stay-at-home mom. Mr. French husband doesn't care for the activities and the small group communication of the training class. He thinks there must be some cultural difference there ;-)

Tomorrow we are meeting with our son's speech therapist for the first time. Yes, we started our parent training before he started his therapy.

No comments: